Beef Curry with Super Sized Spice
his spicy, yet aromatic curry will certainly blow those cobwebs off, and if you don’t like too much spice you can reduce the chilli content to suit your own taste!
Recipe Type: Main Attraction
Author: Westin Gourmet
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 1 hour
- 500g diced lean beef, washed well and drained
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 fresh red or green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 3-6 dried red chillies or 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 250ml beef or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- In a bowl mix the tomato puree, lemon juice and beef stock and leave to one side.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cooking pot on a medium heat.
- Add the diced beef and sauté until golden brown all over.
- Add the chillies, garlic, salt, onions and all of the spices and stir until a flavourful aroma develops.
- Pour in half of your stock and cook on a medium to high heat stirring constantly until nearly all the stock has gone dry.
- Reduce the heat and pour in the remaining stock mixture and mix well – add some water if it’s too thick.
- Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on a bed of rice with naan bread on the side and some mango chutney.