Lamb and Butternut Squash Stew
Spring into summer with this seasonal and tasty lamb and butternut squash stew.
Recipe Type: The Main Attraction
Author: Westin Gourmet
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hour 50 min
Total Time: 2 hours 15 min
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 Westin Gourmet Lamb Chops
- 750ml (1 ¼ pints) lamb or chicken stock
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 large butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices, then peeled
- 3 or 4 carrots, chopped
- 5 sticks celery, chopped
- 6-7 fresh sage leaves
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons pearl barley
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (Gas mark 4).
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and fry the lamb chops on each side until golden brown.
- Take out the chops and remove any excess oil from the pan.
- Add half the stock to the pan and bring to the boil, all the while gently stirring.
- Once boiling add the remainder of the stock.
- In a casserole dish, place half the onions on the bottom and a third of the butternut squash.
- Then add carrots, celery, sage, thyme and the chops – season well and sprinkle the barley over the veg.
- Repeat this layering process and then pour over the stock until veg and lamb are covered.
- Cover well with baking foil and cook for 1 ½ hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Make sure to check the lamb occasionally and be sure to add more stock if needed.
- Serve with some fresh new potatoes.